Margaritas are the popular choice with Mexican food, but if a paloma is on the menu, that’s what I’m ordering. Palomas are typically made with tequila but I prefer using a smoky mezcal. It gives the drink an unexpectedly smooth bite that works well with the sweetness of the grapefruit.
Makes 1 drink
- 2.5 ounces fresh grapefruit juice
- 0.5 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 2.5 ounces mezcal
- club soda
- grapefruit garnish
- Combine grapefruit and lime juices with agave nectar in a glass.
- Stir in mezcal. You can use white tequila if you don’t have mezcal on hand.
- Fill the glass with ice. Top with club soda and grapefruit garnish.